Saturday, May 16, 2009

The past week





Sunday I arrived back in town from a trip to Cortez for the 12 Hours of Mesa Verde which was a great race but a mediocre showing for me. I finished with 5 laps which equaled about 84 miles. I had plenty of time for more riding and even had the legs for it but what I was lacking was the ass and feet for more. I settled for some food, beer and socializing instead. This week I spent a fair amount of time riding due to the incredible weather here in Flagstaff. I took the Ibis out on a preride of the MBAA Flagstaff Frenzy course, then the Turner up Sunset and down Upper Brookbank where there is a pretty amazing little clearing with a nice view up to Agassiz. Anne and I took in a Jimmy Buffett concert down in the valley on Thursday night which didn't do anything for my beer avoidance attempts for midweek but was pretty fun. No riding yesterday but a well needed shopping spree at Trader Joes and some Chipotle burritos before heading back up the hill. Today I headed out for the race despite being up most of the night with foot pain and wound up pulling away from my closest rival on the climb up Wild and Wooly and holding him off to the end to finish first in the Novice SS class. I was fortunate to have won a free race entry for this race and to find a pair of gloves in the prize bin that had not been taken already. The gloves are an older version of some Fox gloves that I assume people thought were a bit too gross looking for them. I say perfect for me!

No comments: