Thursday, July 23, 2009

Back from a last minute trip to Colorado









Saturday morning we loaded up some gear, a couple of bike and some food and headed to Pagosa Springs for a few days. We were headed to spend some time with Anne's dad and I was sure to have time to ride everyday. I had an incredible time riding in the general area around Wolf Creek Pass both on the road and on the dirt. The first ride was a road ride up Wolf Creek Pass itself. 60 miles with about 5000 feet of climbing by the time I rode back up to the house. The next day I went exploring some old mining roads in the East Fork of the San Juan river drainage. The roads went up pretty quickly and were super rough but the scenery was amazing and I had no problem filling up half a day with that ride. The third ride I did was a mixed bag. I decided to head out to ride an official mountain bike trail on the San Juan National Forest. The only problem is that most people shuttle up and ride down from just about the top of Wolf Creek Pass. I decided to ride up the pass and then come down to make a loop out of it. Everything was going smoothly until I actually got on the Treasure Mountain Trail which turned out to have downed trees all over it. It quickly turned into a frustrating hike a bike which included lifted the bike over tree after tree after tree. I was having a hard time accepting the fact that the FS hadn't cleared their only MTB trail when I know that this particular district has done a ton of work on their wilderness trails. Why not prioritize the MTB trail near the top of the list in the spring to share the love with all trail users?

No comments: