Thursday, August 20, 2009

Trail update




I took the Coconino out today with the Groovy Cycleworks Luv Handle handlebar freshly installed. I headed up Schultz to the Waterline Road to see the progress of what is to take the place of Pick-Up Sticks. What I found was a trail closed sign and a new trail junction just down from the old one. I took the new trail found it to be a bit like Little Bear. It is fast and switches back a couple of times until it hits the drainage where it picks up the old trail. I later found out from a FS trail worker that this section is not done yet and beginning in September they will be rerouting the section that is currently in the drainage bottom. They have decided to use the existing bottom portion of the trail instead of having the new trail spit out somewhere on the road up to the Inner Basin from Lockett Meadow. This requires them to put in many wooden water bars to bring it up to standards. They will be working on this section for the rest of August. Most of the lower section is smooth and fast now because of some cutting of the logs that had previously caused some rapid braking. The death log near the bottom is still in place though so if you're flying down the trail be wary of the last corner before the parking lot. Digressing to the Luv Handle, not only does it look sweet and is a metal work of art it is super comfortable. I had no feeling of discomfort in my hands, arms, or shoulders throughout the four hour ride. I have had discomfort going from one bike to the other occasionally in the past when I have been riding one as my primary bike due to the different bars. I was figuring this would be the case changing to this bar but it was not so.

No comments: