Sunday, October 10, 2010

Leaking water


Last week during our St. George excursion I headed out early Sunday morning for a long ride in the desert. The ride started with a long steady climb and took place before the sun poked up over the red rock mesas of Zion. Since I was climbing I didn't pay much attention to the dampness on my back instead writing it off as sweat. I arrived at the top of the climb and then proceeded down a really cool section of single track named Gould's Rim. I decided to snap some photos along this section and took off my pack to realize that my bladder had been leaking and that it was not sweat on my back. I had not ridden the trails of the day before and had to think about the options since about half of my water was now wasted and the sun was now shining on me in all it's glory. I made the only decision that seemed a valid one and with one full bottle and about a quart in my pack headed onward to complete the ride. The ride over all was exceptional with one pleasant surprise. I chose to ride the much acclaimed JEM trail in the middle of the ride and end it with the Hurricane Rim trail. The surprise was that although the JEM trail was pretty fun the Hurricane Rim trail was much better. It had fast sections with exposure, some good technicals sections, a few good climbs and exception scenery the whole way. If you find yourself travelling in the St.George area or Zion National Park for that matter I would definitely allow some time for riding. It was well worth taking a bike along for me.

No comments: