Friday, December 14, 2007

Back from a trip to the Homeland II






On the day that Anne and I left for New Mexico to celebrate Christmas with my family the cold had finally come in and the moisture was turning to snow. I snapped a photo from the hospital on the way out of town and got a good idea of the cold that I believe is here to stay. Today I got up early and hit the slopes for day one on my season pass. It was around 0 degrees with the wind up there and only the Sunset Lift was open which made it very crowded and I only stayed for a couple of hours. You can only ski the same 5 runs so many times. On our trip to NM we first went to my parents house where my brother's family joined us for a Christmas celebration. I got a good picture of my two nieces riding around in Hannah's Christmas present from my parents with my Dad looking on. The next day was spent making traditional tamales with my grandma Rose. I took a photo of Anne at her station where she was in charge of spreading the masa in the corn husks then she would pass them to me for the red chile pork and I would then wrap them in another husk and tie them then I would pass them on to my grandma and she would put them in the pressure cooker and steam them. Anne and I went to Santa Fe for a Christmas celebration with my grandparents on my mom's side. We went out to a great Italian dinner downtown Santa Fe and the next day played some heated dominos. I got my grandma Nancy's french bread recipe which I made today with whole grain spelt flour instead of white wheat flour. Tonight at dinner I will test it to see how it came out. It looks and smells really good. After some time at my grandparents it was off to Rio Rancho for a couple of days at my brother's house with the nieces which was a great time. On the way home we decided to go through Tucson for skis and miscellaneous other stuff so by the time we got home we had turned a 4 hour trip into an 11 hour trip so today I have been trying to get some stuff straightened and put away.

No comments: