Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Just tending to the garden



Today I took a recovery day and tonight I will head to our softball game at 9:15. I did not do a whole heck of a lot today except some bike maintenance and some work in the garden. The photos are of some calavacitas that I planted. My grandmother and great uncle gave me some seeds and I planted them in various places in the garden. They are actually the best looking plant in the garden right now. The calavacitas are green pumpkins that get picked when they are very small and end up looking like zucchinis when they are cut and cooked. My grandma makes a dish of the same name that is the squash, corn, onion, green chili, some oil and a bit of butter and it is by far one of my favorite dishes. We eat it at Thanksgiving and if I am lucky I get it when I go home made specially for me. I am hoping that these plants continue to grow and produce the squash and that I can let one grow big so I will have seeds for next year. I am also hoping that I can keep them growing because the seeds will always have come from the ones my grandma and great uncle originally gave me.

No comments: