Sunday, June 1, 2008

I think I'll turn around now




Today I welcomed June in with a long mountain bike ride. I started at home and made my way over to Schultz Pass Road and headed up to the Waterline road which I took into the Inner Basin which was phenomenal and I had to get the camera out and snap a couple of photos of Humphrey's and Agassiz. I then backtracked a bit and headed up the Waterline Road again and began to climb over trees and snow banks mixed in with some riding here and there. I was determined to get to the end of the road and as long as I could see dirt on the road in front of me I pressed on. I made it within about .5 of a mile to the end and ran into continuous snow at least 4 feet deep and that was that. I took off down toward home (25 miles away) and proceeded to run out of water about 12 miles from home with no options to refill. Enjoy life in the high desert. I could have filled out of Schultz Creek but I wasn't that desperate yet. There is a spigot in the Inner Basin with untreated spring water but when I tried to fill out of it low and behold it hadn't been turned on yet. I returned home after about 5.5 hours in the saddle and a little over 51 miles of riding under my belt. I felt pretty good but the real test will be how I feel when I get back on my bike tomorrow.

1 comment:

steve garro said...

ain't it beautiful up there? you can ride waaayyyy up into the inner basin to the right of the little shelter that looks out towards the desert......steve.