Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Back from a trip to the Homeland III




Anne and I returned home from NM on Sunday evening and we enjoyed the four days we had in the homeland (my homeland). We took Yampa and she was introduced to my parents dog Sierra and my brothers dog Tele. Sierra is about 90 pounds and Tele is 110 pounds so little Yampa at 30 pounds was sure tuckered out by the end of each day of playing. We went to the local ski area in Los Alamos called Pajarito which is closed during the week and hiked up and got a great run down in about 8 inches of fresh powder. The rest of the trip was more glutenous as we relaxed, hung out with family, drank a couple of beers and had a good time. Yesterday I took Yampa to the vet for her last puppy vaccines and her rabies vaccine and then rode the trainer. Last night as I was looking at Garro's Coconino Cycles blog I link to epicrider.com and read about a ride up O'leary Peak that was pretty much clear of snow and a good 2000 feet of climber over about 5 miles so I decided to get out on the mountain bike and check it out. It was a grunt up the hill due to the elevation gain and more so because of the cinder roadway which was on average about 2 inches deep and felt like riding in sand for the whole ride. The views of the entire area were spectacular from Humphrey's to Elden to Sunset Crater to the Painted Desert even out to the Grand Canyon. I also enjoy seeing the different fire lookout towers and how they were built in different area of the country. I included some photos from today and one of Yampa and my parents dog after a rough day.

No comments: